Patriarchy-free Zone: An illustrated update!

So after posting about the art week installation yesterday, I was asked to snap a pic of it if possible. So today, armed with my camera, I headed over to check it out again. I asked the awesome people keeping an eye on it if it was ok, and they said it was fine, and asked that I credit their collective; which, as I mentioned in the last post, is called We Are Optimistic.

So here are a few pictures for you all:

This doesn’t show the whole thing (only the chalkboard at the back, not any of the front bits that have info/scenarios on them), but the woman I spoke to (I am terrible at remembering names, really seriously bad) said that they’re planning to take some photos at the end of the week, so more updates may be in store. The installation will be up until Friday, and is available to contribute to during part of each day. I also heard about some plans to organise a feminist art/performance/workshop/forum later this year, which is very exciting news!

OMG that is so kickass.

I know, right? When I first saw it, I honestly had no idea how to answer the question because there are just so many things I would want to say that my mind was racing.

Thank you! There’s some fantastic things in there, it’s so heartening.

3. Katherine says:

Thanks for the photos! Do you know why have some bits been erased?

Apparently they are things that have been up since first thing on Monday; I imagine a few things were written to get the ball rolling, and now more space is needed so there is room for people to write for the rest of the week. But I’ll try to find out about that; I do know that the things that were erased were things that had been there since Monday. I don’t imagine it was censorship of some sort.

• Katherine says:

I wasn’t thinking censorship so much (as there’s some stuff on there that I wouldn’t have agreed with), but I was hoping it wasn’t because of vandalism. I’m so paranoid 😛

Ha, it’s understandable, considering that it is a big feminist installation in a public area! But as far as I know, it wasn’t vandalism.

4. Megan says:

oh, that is teh awesome.

I want a blackboard like that in my house.

How amazing would that be? People who came to visit could contribute, and it would be something you could look at every day and feel optimistic. Want.

5. […] today from Kate of We Are Optimistic, who put together the Patriarchy-Free Zone installation I mentioned a while back. Kate and Clare are organising an exhibition and symposium here in lovely Dunedin for October this […]